Billing Rates & Information
Water and sewer charges are based on the amount of water consumed per 1,000 gallons.
Water Rate Structure
- A flat service fee of $21 will be charged to each consumer connected to the system.
- On the first 6,000 gallons consumed, the rate charge will be $2 for each 1,000 gals.
- On the next 6,000 gallons consumed (to a total of 12,000 gallons), the rate charge will be $4.57 for each 1,000 gallons.
- On the next 8,000 gallons consumed (to a total of 20,000 gallons), the rate charge will be $5.09 for each 1,000 gallons.
- On the next 20,000 gallons consumed (to a total of 40,000 gallons), the rate charge will be $6.16 for each 1,000 gallons.
- On the next 20,000 gallons consumed (to a total of 60,000 gallons), the rate charge will be $7.24 for each 1,000 gallons.
- For all gallonage in excess of 60,000 consumed, up to 80,000, the rate charge shall be $8.32 for each 1,000 gallons.
- For all gallonage in excess of 80,000 consumed, the rate charge shall be $9.38 for each 1,000 gallons.
Sewer Rate Structure
- A flat service fee of $21 will be charged to each customer connected to the system.
- For each additional 1,000 gallons of water consumed thereafter, the rate charged shall be $3.70.
Bay Restoration Fund (Senate Bill 320)
Senate Bill 320 (Bay Restoration Fund) was signed into law on May 26, 2004. The Chesapeake Bay has experienced a decline in water quality due to over enrichment of nutrients (mainly phosphorus and nitrogen). Effluent from wastewater treatment plants is one of the top three major contributors of nutrients entering the Bay (urban and agricultural runoffs are the other two). The purpose of the bill is to create a dedicated fund, financed by wastewater treatment plant users, to upgrade Maryland's wastewater treatment plants with enhanced nutrient removal (ENR) technology so they are capable of achieving wastewater effluent quality of 3 mg/l total nitrogen and 0.3 mg/l total phosphorus.
Wastewater Treatment Plants Fund - State Mandated
As of July 1, 2012, a $5 monthly fee is collected from each home served by a wastewater treatment plant. Commercial and industrial users are charged at the rate of $5 per month per equivalent dwelling unit (EDU). Fees from wastewater treatment plant users generate an estimated $100 million per year for the entire State of Maryland.
System Benefit Charge
The system benefit charge (SBC) was implemented in order to adequately address the Town's projected capital improvement needs and is applied to all water consumed on a quarterly basis:
- A flat rate of $15 will be charged for all water consumed up to 40,000 gallons.
- On each additional 23,000 gallons consumed per quarter above 40,000 gallons, an additional $15 will be charged.